Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Craft Book Round-Up

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had been reading a lot of "domestic-arts" books. While I did read a few cookbooks, mostly I was concentrating on books about knitting and felting. I always accuse my father of choosing his hobbies based on which has the richest literary tradition (who knew there were so many books about fencing?), but I seem to be following in his footsteps.

Well I have finally given up. I think what did me in was the long introductions in the felting books where they explain in great detail what to do if your project fails to felt correctly. I just can't imagine spending all that time on something that (according to these books) has a pretty good chance of not coming out the way you imagine it. I want guarantees in my crafts. Thus, while all those purses and hats and mittens were very cool looking, I have decided to be done with all that.

I do want to tell you about the oddest of all the craft books I read, however; it's called Killer Tea Cosies and How to Make Them. I'm always on the lookout for small projects, projects that, considering I can only knit for about 15 minutes a day, won't take me years to finish. A tea cozy sounded like just the thing. I have to admit that I was also attracted to this book because of its offbeat title. But it was just strange. None of the tea cozies were knitted, though a few were crocheted. Most were just fabric sculptures in really weird non-tea-related shapes. Like a Volkswagon beetle, a hedgehog, a coiled snake, and most surprising of all, the Sydney Opera House!

Back to the more predictable world of the novel, please.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right about your father. I do choose my hobbies based on the literary tradition. Now that I have hunting dogs I read a lot of hunting and dog literature. At present I am reading some essays by Gamekeepers printed in 1932 and probably written well before that. They were written to educate gentlemen on the duties of Gamekeepers. Techniques are amazingly similar. An emphasis on treating the dog kindly. I had not expected that.

Post a Comment