Friday, April 20, 2007

Weird Oops



I don't usually write about the publishing industry, but I just can't resist bringing this up. Didn't anyone notice this? I just came across the two covers while surfing Amazon. Ecco Press (publisher of Summer People) is a division of Harper Collins. Star Lake Saloon was published by the University of Wisconsin Press, which I guess must not be on the radar of the big New York publishing houses.

The photograph and type design are much nicer on the Harper Collins book, reflecting perhaps their larger book design budget, though I guess all that money didn't hire them a designer who paid very close attention to her choice in stock photographs. I always felt the Rath book had that "university press" kind of look. Oh well. I wonder what happens now.

5 comments:

Sam said...

Nice catch. I don't think I've ever seen that happen before.

Anonymous said...

The same Pre-Raphaelite paintings appear on a variety of nineteenth-century English novels, but I haven't seen it happen with a contemporary novel.

Oops!

Anonymous said...

Hello Becky, over here on Maxine's recommendation. Very interested in your post (and I agree the Harper Collins take is superior) because it's just reminded me of something...

Becky Holmes said...

Clare, WHAT did it remind you of? I'm dying to know....

Anonymous said...

Ha, and now you know! Thanks very much for visiting. I'll be back.

Post a Comment