Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Kindle

What do we think about the Kindle? It’s that device from Amazon that is like some sort of electronic book reader. It can store up to 200 books at a time. I have to admit that I have paid very little attention to it until recently. I remember thinking when I first saw them advertised on Amazon “who would buy one of those?” But that just shows why I don’t work in marketing, since apparently the answer to that question is, lots of people. My mother-in-law recently told me that many of the senior citizens in her neighborhood in Florida use them. And my husband, who recently traveled to Germany said that he saw four of them on his airplane. Now I’ve got Caroline and Susan discussing them in my comments. Susan says she’s not yet ready for one, but Caroline thinks they are very 21st century.

Now I am no technophobe, and am handy with a computer. But I find myself agreeing with Susan that there’s something about the feel of a book in my hands. The $400 price tag puts me off (plus an additional $10 for every book) and also the battery recharging. I have enough trouble keeping my cell phone charged. What if you really wanted to read, but your Kindle was dead? And finally, what about the bathtub? If you drop a paperback in the tub, all you’ve got is a mess. If you drop the Kindle in, maybe you are electrocuted! Does anyone know the answer to that one?

1 comments:

heather (errantdreams) said...

There are circumstances under which I'd love to have an electronic reader, but I can't imagine paying even $200 for one, let alone $400, particularly when that doesn't include any books.

Post a Comment