Sunday, September 28, 2008

Dog Tired

A friend lent me The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. This is the first time I've ever read an Oprah book at the same time as everyone else, that is, this book is Oprah's Book Club choice right now. It's certainly well written, but I am not sure how much longer I'm going to be able to hang on. I just finished reading a chapter called The Stray. It was 22 pages about some characters trying to coax a stray dog to come in. Twenty-two pages! Give the dog kibble. Give the dog hamburger. Pet the dog gently. I just don't think I can take much more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't say I was a fan:
http://www.citizenreader.com/citizen/2008/09/now-this-is-the-stuff-of-nightmares.html

That said, I do hope you like it. I'd hate for anyone to waste time reading a 600+ page book they weren't enjoying.

Anonymous said...

562-page book, sorry. It only felt like 600+ pages.

Anonymous said...

I LOVED that novel -- everything except the ending where it stuck a little too close to "Hamlet." One of the best novels I've ever read. On the other hand, I do adore dogs and I liked the way he reinvented Shakespeare.

Post a Comment