Monday, January 09, 2006

In a Dark House by Deborah Crombie

Crombie writes good police procedure, and her crimes are interesting, original, and plausible. I also enjoy her descriptions of London, which are very vivid. A few years ago when I went to London I made a special point of walking through the Greenwich Foot Tunnel which goes under the Thames from Greenwich to the Isle of Dogs, because I read about it in one of her earlier books, Kissed a Sad Goodbye.

In a Dark House was not as good as that book, but still worth reading. I get annoyed by the subplots concerning Kincaid's relationship with Gemma and the continuing developments with his son Kit. Crombie isn't as good at writing about relationships as she is at writing crime, and these parts feel forced.

This was an audiobook, and the reader wasn't great. His accents (especially one he used for an Asian character) were kind of distractingly fake.

More information is available here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment