Friday, December 22, 2006

Categories: Thinking out Loud

I've upgraded to the new version of Blogger, which provides categories. I've gone through and assigned categories to every post on this blog, but I'm not sure whether I'll be sticking with these or not. I've identified a few issues so far:

1) I've got this catch-all category of literary fiction, but I've also got domestic fiction and historical fiction. All of the books in these last two categories could also qualify as literary fiction. Thus, do I assign multiple categories in these cases? I think most of the books I read could qualify as literary fiction but I am loathe to start flagging everything with this label for fear of creating an unwieldy list. On the other hand, I don't want anyone to think that the lack of a literary fiction label means that the book is not "literary." I've used the category light fiction for a few books specifically to designate the fact that I don't think of them as literary fiction. And of course mysteries are not literary fiction either, so maybe I do need to be clear about which books are.

2) I've created letter grade categories so you can easily see which books I liked best. I'm not sure why someone would search for a grade D or F book, though. Maybe just for a hoot.

Do people pay a lot of attention to categories when they read blogs?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I like categories on blogs that have a lot of different topics going on. It makes it easier to wade through the stuff you don't want to read.

Anonymous said...

Did that sound like an insult? I read all of your entries. :-)

Becky Holmes said...

No, not at all! I agree, and that's why I wanted to implement them. But too many categories could cause someone to miss something.

Anonymous said...

I love categories, so you can sort posts by topic. But then, I am a bit weird.

Post a Comment