Monday, July 01, 2013

What Happened to June?

I’m sorry, I had a sick kid and a death in the family (not the kid, luckily, but a dear older man who was a great reader and all-round good guy, RIP JB). Also I took on some new responsibilities at work which have added up to more hours than I planned for. It’s okay, I’m still here and everyone is fine now. Tomorrow I’ll post about The Middlesteins by Jami Attenberg, and follow that shortly with Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh. I loved both of these books. I’m also nearly finished Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter. Both Attenberg and Walter are new writers to me so I’m looking forward to reading more by both of them.

I’ve also embarked on something called The Infinite Summer Jam, a Facebook group populated (mostly) by librarians who are attempting to spend the summer reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. I decided to try this, knowing that I would never have the patience or motivation to read this book any other way. Since no chapter seems (as of yet) to relate to any previous chapter, it’s been a good book for reading in bits and pieces. I am liking it more than I expected, which is to say, I expected to hate it, and do not.

1 comments:

Sam said...

"I expected to hate it, and do not." That's one of the finest backhanded compliments I've seen in a while.

I hope July is much better, and easier, for you than June proved to be. Good luck.

Post a Comment