Monday, January 23, 2006

Banishing Verona by Margot Livesey

I have read a few other books by Margot Livesey. I generally like her writing, which is very straightforward, though she often deals with less-than-straightforward topics (such as ghosts, in Eva Moves the Furniture, which is her book before this one).

This book, her latest, got mixed reviews, and I see why. It's a pretty standard story of two people in London falling in love, being separated, getting back together. The character of Zeke was an interesting study of borderline Asperger's syndrome, so it was interesting to look inside his head. Is this a trend in literature these days? The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime did the same thing, only better. The character of Verona was less unique, and there was a plot point that really really bothered me, where she discovers that her brother has stolen a large amount of money from her, and she seems to just overlook it. I needed to have that resolved in a more realistic way; as much as I love my family, I couldn't imagine just ignoring the theft of my inheritance.

You can read more about this book here.
(Book 5, 2006)

1 comments:

Margo Baxter said...

I really liked 'Curious Incident...' so maybe I'll give this a try. I have a few friends who have been close to people with Asperger's syndrome, so I am interested to hear a new perspective on it.

Post a Comment