Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Sharing My Embarrassing Moment

At a bar mitzvah luncheon the other day I was chatting with a friend whom I haven’t seen in a while. We had been through the buffet line and were looking for someplace to sit. “I see some people from my book club at that table,” she said. “Let’s go sit with them.”

After introductions, and polite conversation, someone at the table asked if any of the others had begun reading the book club’s next selection. “What book are you reading?” I asked. “Assassin’s Gate” the woman answered. I said “Oh, isn’t that a fantasy novel? I think I read that."

Everyone at the table looked at me with polite bewilderment, ignored my question, and continued their conversation.

Assassin's Gate
Assassin's Quest

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I haven't heard of either, so what does that make me? ;-)

Anonymous said...

And, it all depends on how you look at it. Maybe they were the uninformed ones for never having heard of Assassin's Quest? (Quest is probably a lot more fun to read; Assassins' Gate is depressing, and long.) No worries.

Becky Holmes said...

Assassin's Quest was pretty good, but it dragged a bit. The first book in the trilogy is much better. Thanks for the heads-up about Assassin's Gate. I was starting to think I might have to read it, just to avoid compounding my error.

Post a Comment