Sunday, February 17, 2008

News About Persephone Books and a Movie

The Guardian (UK) recently had a good article about Nicola Beauman, who is the founder and publisher of Persephone books. I know other bloggers have already linked to this article but I wanted to include it here too. There's some press brewing about an upcoming film version of a Persephone book, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, by Winifred Watson, which will star Frances McDormand, one of my favorite actors.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see an article by Linda Brazill, in the Capital Times, which is my local newspaper, about Persephone books. The word is really spreading about these treasures. Note that Persephone will soon release three titles that will be available in traditional booksellers around the U.S.; the Guardian article about Beauman will give you the details.

There's a link to the Persphone web site on my sidebar.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I read the interview through the link at Yarnstorm's blog. I'm going to treat myself to another title - I like the look of Katherine Mansfield's Journal.

Anonymous said...

I saw the trailer for "Miss Pettigrew" when I went to see "Atonement." The friend I was with said of it, "After that, I don't need to see the movie." I do hate trailers that seem to give the entire plot away, and much as I love Frances McDormand, too, I wasn't sure I liked her much in that role. Well, you will see.

But Persephone Books -- they're the new Virago and I'm all for new editions of writers like K. Mansfield. I discovered while reading E. Von Arnim that they were first cousins -- did you know that?

Last but not least, Becky, I just finished Ruth Rendell's "The Crocodile Bird" and liked it a lot. She really had a good ending to this one -- avoided the easy (and sensational) way out. Thank you very much for the rec!

Becky Holmes said...

Susan, I haven't seen the trailer (haven't seen Atonement yet, either). I did not know of the relationship between Von Arnim and Mansfield. Personally, I prefer Von Arnim's books. I am glad you liked the Crododile Bird. I think Rendell's endings have gotten worse in the past few years, like she's losing a little bit of steam by the end.Maxine has a good recommendation for one I haven't read, The Blood Doctor. I must put that on my list.

Post a Comment