Saturday, November 01, 2008

The Shape of Water by Andrea Camilleri

This was funny and different, but ultimately unsatisfying. I've never read anything that takes place in Sicily before, so that part was fun. And the detective is quirky and has a good sense of humor. The narration is ironic and fast paced, but I had a hard time keeping track of all the characters, and only sort of understood the end. The complex dynamics of Sicilian politics didn't help me either.

Camilleri has written several Inspector Montalbano mysteries which I gather are enormously popular in Italy. They must be popular in the U.S. also since Amazon carries a lot of them in translation. It's not that I didn't like it, it's just that I didn't like it enough to go read another.

(Book 39, 2008)

0 comments:

Post a Comment