Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Why Procrastinate Now When You Can Just Do It Later?

In January 2008 we bought a new refrigerator. We replaced our 1992 white side-by-side fridge with an energy-efficient stainless steel freezer-on-the-bottom model. The old fridge (in addition to unpredictably leaking water onto the floor) functioned as a family bulletin board where we hung important papers, photos, relevant Zits cartoons, etc. from magnets. The morning that the new refrigerator was being delivered (and the old fridge taken away) I hastily removed all these things and shoved them, along with all the magnets, into a brown paper bag. I would hang them all back up once the new fridge was installed. But whoa, who knew? It turns out you can’t stick a magnet to stainless steel fridge doors. So I put the paper bag in a corner of my laundry room to “sort out later.” Guess what I did yesterday? Yes, after almost exactly two years, I finally got around to sorting the contents of that bag. Want some expired pizza coupons from the now-closed Gumby’s on University Avenue? How about the signed permission slip for the 8th grade field trip (I wonder what happened with THAT?)

I relay this embarrassing story only to illustrate my innate tendency to procrastinate. Hence you won’t be surprised to hear that I have four blog posts to write about the last four books of 2009 and another to write about the first book of 2010. Then I really ought to do some kind of end-of-year wrap-up post, but that idea too just makes me yawn.

If you’re lucky, none of this will take me two years.

2 comments:

Amused said...

Good luck! As my dad always says, why do today what you can do tomorrow? :)

LINDA from Each Little World said...

I definitely can't wait two years. Have been checking often to see what you closed out the year with and won't abandon you while you get it all read and written. I say this as someone who never wrote a review about my fave book of last year because I let too much time pass between reading and writing.

Post a Comment