Thursday, November 17, 2011

I Remember Nothing by Nora Ephron

This was better than I Feel Bad About My Neck, about which I complained in this post back in 2007. The essays in Ephron's new book have more substance; more of them are about something, Ephron reminisces about her childhood and her early experiences as a journalist in New York in the 1960’s (shades of Mad Men, only funnier). It’s another fast read (like the Calvin Trillin book I posted about recently) and good for filling in an afternoon.

I keep trying Ephron’s essays because I like her movies (Julie & Julia, Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally). However, the Ephron work I’m most interested in right now is the play Love, Loss, and What I Wore, which is a collaboration with her sister Delia Ephron and which was based on the book of the same name by Ilene Beckerman. I loved that book and for a couple of years I gave it as a gift to a lot of my friends. I am hoping to see the show at the Broadway Playhouse in Chicago before it ends its run in January.

(Book 34, 2011)

0 comments:

Post a Comment