Friday, December 09, 2005

A Feast for Crows, Post #2

I am now about half way through this. I'm liking it better, though there have been very few really moving moments, unlike in the previous book in the series, A Storm of Swords, which was very emotional.

Each chapter reads like it could belong to a different book from the chapter before, as Martin ranges among his widely separated characters. Here's a chapter from a book about a man reluctantly returning to his home to confront his estranged father. Here's another from a book about a little girl being initiated into the secrets of an obscure religious sect. These two chapters have nothing to do with one another. I feel like I'm reading 6 books at the same time.

Because his chapters for the most part don't build on one another, Martin never gets any kind of momentum going with his plot. The upside of this is that it makes it easy to take a break from the book, which is what I am going to do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment